[AT] Diesel rated oi/ Gasoline powered engine?

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Tue May 28 06:39:24 PDT 2019

Interesting article:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engine-oils-

So diesel oils still contain ZDDP, which was reduced or removed from
spark-ignition oils after around SF or SG (I think) due to catalytic
converter poisoning.  ZDDP is desirable to have in an oil, absent the
concern over the catalytic converter.

The choices in diesel oils tend to be higher in viscosity; we can all see
that on the shelves at the store.  This can be bad news in a modern, fresh,
tight-bearing-clearance engine.  Thinner oils are necessary to properly
fill the smaller bearing clearances.  On the contrary, it seems that the
looser old iron we should be discussing here would benefit from the thicker
viscosity in most cases.  Up to the point where there is concern about
pumpability when very cold.

That last concern, where diesel oils have higher detergent, doing an
excessively good job on the cylinder walls - I'm struggling to understand
why this is a factor for gas engines and not a factor for diesel engines.

SO