[AT] Diesel rated oi/ Gasoline powered engine?

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Mon May 27 05:38:41 PDT 2019

I don't know how much the formula might have changed, but from the early
1970's through when my dad left the farm in the mid 2000's, we ran
Rotella T 15W-40 in a JD 620, 2 730's, an IH 300, AC 190XT, 210, and
8030, several pickup trucks and Gleaner combines, and heaven-only-knows
how many cars, including mine (Chevy 350 V8). Never had a
lubrication-related failure that I can remember. We bought the stuff by
the barrel; usually had two of them around - one at each farm, 14 miles
apart. The only reason I no longer use it is that today's cars recommend
5W-20 or 5W-30 viscosity.

The only exceptions were the JD H and A, where we used "Golden Shell"
non-detergent SAE 20 or 30, depending on time of year.

Disclaimer: My dad's baby sister was married to a Shell jobber, but we
paid the same price as everybody else :-).

Mark J
Columbia, MO
Southern Indiana farm boy now working at the big university :-)