[AT] OT: Cast iron work on a replica cannon

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun May 5 04:20:45 PDT 2019

GREAT question, Spencer.  There are some truly oddball taps and dies
readily available, although HomeDepot does surprise me.  I use MSC for
most  tooling, and the sheer number of choices in taps (and dies, I guess,
although I purchase few dies) is mind-boggling.

Here's an example.  In metric, M8 is quite common - as common as 5/16-18 in
the inch system.  The metric fastener system does have a concept of coarse
and fine, but it skews heavily to the coarse.  M8 x 1.25 is about as common
as metric dirt.  Now, check this out:  In just the spiral-flute style, MSC
lists five sizes, including:  M8 x 0.5, M8 x 0.75, M8 x 1.0, M8 x 1.25, and
M8 x 1.5.  And the number of choices!  I kid you not, there are 429
different choices in the M8 x 1.25 size alone, spiral flute alone.  We
haven't even looked at straight flute nor spiral point styles.  Different
materials (HSS, cobalt, vanadium, carbide) with or without a variety of
different coatings, and with different classes of fit (for example, a
series of oversize increments are readily available that make threads to be
plated later).

SO