[AT] OT: Cast iron work on a replica cannon

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat May 4 06:58:37 PDT 2019

About 10 years ago I was on a flight to Kansas. I can't quite remember the sequence of events. I heard large men speaking a language I do not remember hearing before as I got on the flight. One ended up seated next to me. Turned out they were from Dronningsborg and were going to Agco in Hesston for a project meeting.

I asked what they were doing about metric fasteners. The Dane said that they had been all metric until Agco purchased them. They had been switched to mixed metric and SAE.

It may be irrelevant. Agco shut down Dronningsborg and bought into Laverda. Are the combines made for Agco by Laverda all metric? Why would they not be?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randers

[Al Jones] Metric is the work of the devil...…..

Helicoils are wonderful.  Very easy to do and they WORK!

My white demonstrator Super A that I have been tinkering off and on forever had four badly stripped holes in the torque tube.  Somebody had tapped the 5/8" holes out about 7/8 or so and it was BAD.  There wasn't any threaded inserts that I could find that would be direct replacements.  A machine shop friend of mine was nice enough to make a set of inserts, kind of like the KeenSerts, and install in the torque tube.  Once it's painted I don't think you'll be able to tell that anything ever happened to it!