[AT] towing tractors with a pickup

deanvp at att.net deanvp at att.net
Sat Mar 30 10:51:19 PDT 2019

We had a Anthony (Illinois) made steel bed wagon on a frame that was made on a truck type chassis with 4 single split rim 20” wheels with a regular wagon tongue. It had dual hydraulic cylinders and a pump that was driven by the PTO.  The bed of the steel wagon held 300 bushels of shelled corn and of course wood side height extensions were made to hold more.  I don’t know remember what the tare weight was on the wagon by itself but lets say 2,000 lbs. 300 bushel of corn at 60 lbs per bushel is 18.000 lbs. So to be conservative this loaded wagon weighed 20,000 lbs.  We pulled this loaded wagon many miles on country gravel roads with 4 and 5,000 lb tractors and one ton pickups without a mishap. But let me tell you, even as a fearless teenager, it was more than an interesting ride especially going down hills. Now NW Iowa has gently rolling hills but when you have 20,000 lbs pushing you from behind it is more than a little interesting.  I have no idea why my father trusted me to get this wagon from the field to the home farm, empty it and back out into the field safely but he did (necessity I guess). I don’t recall having any kind of close call but I do recall being terrified of the damn thing going down hills. I would shift down using compression braking and the differential brakes (had to be careful to just touch them… not too hard)  would be really hot by the time I got to the bottom of the hill.  Now these gravel roads were just wide enough for two cars to meet without an inch to spare. And every gravel road up and down the hills ( yes I said up) had only two wheel tracks. I guess an indication of how little traffic there was.  Now the roads were really hard and well packed in the center of the road but as you moved from the center toward the ditch, the road was not nearly as well packed if it was a little wet got soft enough that a heavy truck or wagon such as this would leave noticeable tracks. Obviously we pulled down the middle of the road up and down hills and unfortunately if you met another vehicle one would try to come to a stop or at least really slow down as we pulled over toward the edge of the roads. Things got a little unpredictable out there. Never dumped a load but even now 60 years later I shudder about how dangerous this was.  I only dumped one loaded wagon into a ditch during all my load hauling teenage years. I was pulling a flared wagon behind a letter series JD Tractor on a country gravel road so it probably weighed loaded  not much more than the tractor.   But there were tornado funnels in the sky and let me tell you to this day Tornado’s scare the living H*** out of me.  The funnels were fairly high but at any time they can drop down to ground level and create havoc.  We were well trained on what to do if they dropped down.  But I’m going down the road and trying to keep  an eye on the funnels at the same time. Well one of those funnels started acting up and I was paying too much attention to it.  I got off to the soft edge of the road and in the process of pulling back the wagon tipped over and dumped the whole load in the ditch.  My reward was having to load the wagon back up by hand. Needless to say my father was not a happy camper because of what I had done even though I got an empty wagon back to him in the field quicker than usual.  The tongue had this funny twist in it for some reason.

Dean VP

Apache junction, AZ