[AT] towing tractors with a pickup

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 29 22:10:17 PDT 2019

I would expect that insurance companies would be charging us a trailer towing surcharge if they knew how much this is going on. If they see you have a trailer registered they could simply tack it on.

[Stephen Offiler] Seems like the final chapter of that little episode might have been the pickup truck getting rear-ended by the duals!

[Greg Hass] Ten or so years ago a guy a few miles away was going down a blacktop road in road gear. He had a set of snap on duals ( the kind where the outer set clamps onto the inner rim and not to the axle ). As he was traveling, the inner wheel worked loose from the axle and came off the tractor. Because the wheels were fastened together, they did not tip over but continued down the road. Just at that time a pick-up was passing the tractor. The duals were still turning and the lugs of the tires caught the pick-up bumper and raised it in the air. The speed of the pick-up and the turning duals caused the truck to go up over the duals about ten feet in the air and about 60 feet ahead of the tires landing on its wheels. The news report said no one was injured but I would guess the pick-up driver needed new underwear.