[AT] Charging batteries

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Mar 12 08:00:03 PDT 2019

On 3/12/2019 7:56 AM, Ron Cook wrote:

> I have never been around an Allis Chalmers or Ford 6-volt tractor that
> the electrical system performed correctly. International Harvester and
> John Deere are the only other brands I have any experience with.  I
> currently have both of those I use and have no problems at all.  I do
> not have an IH M, but I remember they were marginal on cranking.  6
> volt obviously not enough.  Same with John Deere A.  12-volt fixes
> both of them.  6 volt simply was marginal to begin with.  As far as
> charging,  I am of the opinion it has to do with the generator's rpm
> and in the case of the Ford, a cheap low output generator.  10 amp
> generator would take all day at full speed to charge the battery back
> up and I doubt anything other than brand new would put out anywhere
> close to 10.  Doing chores and such just won't do it.

I still run the Cockshutt 40 on 6 volts although I've got a bigger than
original battery on it. My brother fixed the starter problem years ago
by switching the body of another starter from a

Massey combine onto the Cockshutt. It really improved the cranking
speed. If everything is working right they don't need a lot of cranking
to start anyway. You've likely seen the videos

of starting my 40 on some pretty severe cold days on 6 volts. I've seen
a guy start a FArmall M , about two turns of the starter and it was
running. I was amazed.

On the other hand I've got a Case DC4 that is impossible to start on 6
volts. Or even 12.

Ralph in Sask.

---
https://www.avg.com