[AT] Charging batteries

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Tue Mar 12 06:56:29 PDT 2019

I have never been around an Allis Chalmers or Ford 6-volt tractor that
the electrical system performed correctly.  International Harvester and
John Deere are the only other brands I have any experience with.  I
currently have both of those I use and have no problems at all.  I do
not have an IH M, but I remember they were marginal on cranking.  6 volt
obviously not enough.  Same with John Deere A.  12-volt fixes both of
them.  6 volt simply was marginal to begin with.  As far as charging,  I
am of the opinion it has to do with the generator's rpm and in the case
of the Ford, a cheap low output generator.  10 amp generator would take
all day at full speed to charge the battery back up and I doubt anything
other than brand new would put out anywhere close to 10.  Doing chores
and such just won't do it.

Ron Cook, Salix, IA