[AT] Charging batteries

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 06:26:09 PDT 2019

An old-timer friend explained part of the issue with 6 volt systems. The
brushes in the starter will drop about 2 volts out of the 6 volts available
just in the brushes IF they're working correctly. That's a large loss that
can't really be made up by heavy cables or any of the other tricks used on
the 6 volt systems. Adding a couple volts to them really made a difference
IF the charging system could develop that much voltage. However, many times
it wouldn't because the generator didn't get enough RPM's due to belt
losses or slow engine speeds like our old tractors. So while 8 volt systems
were sometimes OK, there were fewer battery options and sometimes severe
system limitations until 12V was widely adopted.

I use 12V on the starter for my Case D's. The charging circuits are all 6
volt and I've been considering a boost circuit but after Cecil's issues
with the Belarus, I've reconsidered it and may just find a small alternator
that I can fit in there. It'll only work on belt driven ones (the generator
between the drive and magneto might be a tough one to substitute...) but
those projects all take "round tuits" that seem to be in short supply...

Ken in AZ