[AT] 1937 Farmall F-12 with hydraulically lifted low.

Howard Pletcher hrpletch at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 08:07:33 PDT 2019

No, draft control does not maintain a constant depth - on the contrary it
regulates the depth of the implement depending on the conditions and
setting maintaining a constant draft or pull. One of the complaints I've
heard about the Ferguson system is it doesn't plow evenly under varying
conditions.

Constant depth seems to be a common misconception. There's a Youtube video
explaining how draft control works that claims it is to maintain constant
depth produced by someone who admits he never makes use of it because his
ground is too hard for it to work well.

I don't know how the wheels under the tractor sensed the draft. I would
assume they were not mounted rigidly to the plow, but had linkage that
sensed the draft similar to the top link of the Ferguson 3 point which then
actuated the hydraulic system.

Howard