[AT] tractor relationships

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 06:45:14 PDT 2019

I love all brands and have more IH (6) than anything else and used several
of them for many years but they are not the tractors I used or saw that
much growing up. My father did buy and use a McCormick 10-20 after the war
as a second tractor when both new and used tractors were still in short
supply. I was around it and played on it but at age seven when it was sold
(traded for a car actually) I could not reach most controls or steer it
well enough to drive it alone. In the early 1950's the Ford/Ferguson 9N
became kind of my tractor to use along with the Deere MC crawler and the
40-C that replaced the MC. They were easy for me to drive. The next IHC on
the farm was a new 300 Utility about 1956. I did really like that tractor.
The neighbor across the back fence had replaced his horses in 1946 and when
we moved here in 1951 he was farming with an SC Case which was what the
closest neighbor back on the other farm used. Another close neighbor back
there worked closely with my father used an 8N Ford (likely because his
brother was a dealer). The guy across the road from our house just ran a
beef herd and his only tractor was a Farmall Cub. Here I grew up watching a
neighbor using a 9N Ford and a couple of Allis WC's before he bought an
Oliver 77 and in later years a Ferguson TO-20. He also owned a Farmall F-30
but didn't use it for field work, just for filling a new Harvestore silo. I
now have that F-30 (kind of a long story). The neighbor across the back
fence with the SC Case bought an Allis CA when they came out. Two brothers
that farmed across a fence over at the edge of town had all John Deere
stuff including a B and an A. There were a few more Deere's around the
neighborhood and I used to love listening to them running off in the
distance late on a quiet night... One larger (for the time) farmer between
us and town used all late model Massey Harris tractors, three of them if
I'm remembering right. Another neighbor in the opposite direction had
several MM's. An uncle had a then new MM-R and I have it now, Acquired at
auction. My Allis C came from the estate auction of an old family friend.
We also had 2 neighbors who had 8N Fords. There were a lot of IHC tractors,
mostly M's not far away, just not in this neighborhood.

.

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 7:30 AM John Hall <jtchall at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> To my knowledge, no relation. However that side of the family has never
> been researched very much (at least by any one I know). For whatever
> reason, family history always was concentrated on dad's mother's side. They
> lived in the same area for over 200 years until WWII caused virtually all
> of them to be displaced to build a military base.
>
> Regarding my preference for IH, its mainly just old stuff--no real
> preference on newer machines. Dad worked for 23 years for the local IH
> dealer.  Also being knee deep in tobacco country, IH tractors were
> everywhere as that is what 99% of the farms used up until the early/mid
> 80's.
>
> If you are ever in the area, go see the Cyrus McCormick historical site.
> Its one of those state historic sites that hardly anyone knows exists. Its
> self guided tour of 2-3 buildings, lots of models IH built for a Worlds
> Fair on display.
>
> John Hall
>

> On 7/25/2019 7:11 PM, James Peck wrote:
>
> AT list member John Hall has several times voiced a strong preference for antique tractors of the International Harvester brand. We know that CaseIH is a current brand of CNH Industrial, FKA Fiat Industrial. We know that McCormick tractors are a brand of Argo, which also makes Landini tractors.
>
> The inventor of the reaper was Cyrus Hall McCormick, a Virginian. Virginia is adjacent to North Carolina. John Hall tells us he is a North Carolinian. Are they related.
> https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/cyrus-hall-mccormick-24-1r6k2c

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA