[AT] Fighter escort for old iron

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 21:03:39 PDT 2019

I have not seen any purple martins right here for quite a few years but a
son-in-law saw a few about a week ago while mowing. Like you mention Gene
the Amish about 8 to 10 miles east of here have poles full of martin houses
all over. We have a herd of the long tail barn swallows here and a smaller
number of chimney swifts. We normally never see cliff swallows here but
maybe 30 years ago we had one nest (a very distinctive nest) up under the
lower edge of a barn roof. Have never seen another here since. I have seen
a lot of them out west. When I see their nest it makes me think of a tea
pot.  :-)
Even more fun than watching the barn swallows zipping all around the mower
is watching them skimming low and hitting the cats when they walk across
the barn lot.  :-)

.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 11:40 PM partzpicker at yahoo.com <
partzpicker at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I get barn swallows when I mow.  They nest about a quarter mile away in an
> unused shed at the neighbors.  I think they've learned to associate the
> sound of a mower with dinner!
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 10:11 PM, Aaron Dickinson
> <a_dickinson at att.net> wrote:
>
> I could have used the escort today, too hot out for the birds but not the
> bugs.
>

> Aaron Dickinson
>
> Mason, Michigan

Francis Robinson