[AT] Sad times

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Jul 24 18:30:15 PDT 2019

Same thing here in Western OK...   I talked to a fellow who grew up in
SE Missouri from the Army Corps of Engineers back in about 2005 or
so...   He said when he left to go to Korea with the U S Army, he had
verbally commit ted to buying a 1/4 section and was going to come back
and farm.   3 years later when he returned, he could no longer afford
the land and it took 6 or 7, 1/4 sections to make a living.   He went to
work for the Corps... It has only gotten worse year by year.  Americans
do not realize how little of their paycheck goes for food compared to
the rest of the world.  I won't go on, it would probably get political.
It makes me so sad because  I wanted to be a farmer since I was 8yrs
old.  I remember laying in the middle of the living room floor looking
at the new Progressive Farmer  Mag and drooling over the new Allis
Chalmers D21, and going to the State Fair and sitting in the cab of a
new 2470 Case 4WD.    I finally bought one 6 years ago and just need to
change the tires and wheels...
Now I sit here with Ice on my knee & ankle due to tripping over a stick
in the grass while feeding the horses...  If you guys heard a loud noise
coming from OK about 2pm yesterday, it was me when I tripped and ended
up sitting on my ankle with my bad knee bent farther than it has for a
few years..............  This is the lowest temperature on record this
week and here I sit with Ice!!!!!!!!
Cecil