[AT] not antique but tractor related.

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Jul 21 19:31:33 PDT 2019

I have worked on vehicle air conditioning systems since I was 13 yrs
old.  That is about 52 years.  I have seen a lot of crazy problems and
fixed every one that I was asked to work on.  Having said that, I am
stumped.  The TS110 money pit has always had a great air conditioner.  a
couple of weeks ago I was cutting hay in a field a little ways from
home, so I had the atv to travel back and forth in case of breakdown,
etc...  I baled for about 3 hours, then stopped for lunch.  I returned
and started the tractor and noted the a/c was not working.  The
compressor was not turning.  I tried many different thing including
bypassing the low pressure cutout that had been replaced a day earlier.
It finally started working after I had the doors open to the wind and
the interior of the cab cooled off. This took about an hour.  It worked
fine.  I put it in the shed.  2 days later I had to bale another field
and got started about 1pm. It was hot and the A/c would work for about 2
or 3 minutes then quit for 10 to 15 then run just a little then quit
again.  I spent the next 3 hours in a 95deg greenhouse.    I spent last
Friday morning checking the freon levels and the switch connections.  I
found the air filters were really badly plugged.  I found the only ones
were 65 miles away and got them.  Without the filters the A/C worked
fine and had the correct pressures for a R134 system.   Today I got
started baling about 10 am and baled until 5pm and only once was it
blowing not real cold, but other wise worked fine...   Later this
evening it was starting to rain and I went to back it into the shed, the
interior of the cab was hotter  than a 2 dollar pistol.  The A/C would
not blow anything but hot air.  The heater does not work on this so, it
is not heater hoses.  When the interior is hot, the system will not get
started....    I am thinking a high pressure cutout switch.  I really
hat to bypass things, but I have seen so many NH tractors at sales of
this vintage that have an extra switch in the cab for turning on the A/C
clutch, I think maybe it is a design defect as there are so many......
Anyone had any experience like this???
Cecil