[AT] OT tractor repair in residential garages

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 05:48:47 PDT 2019

A couple of weeks ago a neighbor put a washer and dryer out to the curb for pickup  a couple of days before trash pickup day. City regulations say no trash out until the night before. I observed that the pair were picked up by a man in a pickup when I went out to bring in the now empty wheeled trash container. I suspect that the trash hauler truck driver called somebody who takes the big stuff away outside of the trash hauling truck. Scavenging is otherwise not legal here.

[earlier post never completed] I replaced a washing machine within the last couple of years. The delivery people were eager to take it away when they delivered the new one. I was thinking I would repair the leaking seal and put it in a rental property. After it sat long enough to be irritatingly in the way, I read my trash regulations and put it out for the trash.

I have a weekly pickup of trash and recyclables and in the summer months yard waste, each a separate truck. It is rumored that the recycling currently goes to landfill after being picked up. Export of recyclables has been affected by trade wars. Yard waste goes to a city operated compost operation. Composting on individual properties is not legal.

[Bradford] Don't get me wrong, I love where I live in California. Damn near perfect climate, people, etc. Cost of living? Outrageous. Laws? Worse. Your comment on scrap bins got me riled. I've been selling scrap and recyclables since I was 13. 66.5 now. I had my clothes dryer die recently (bad motor, not worth the fix) so I took it apart removing all the plastic, electronics, etc. to get down to breakage that is a whopping .10-.12¢ lb. Upon arrival at the scrap yard I've been going to for years I was informed they could not take the sheet metal can, drum, and other parts as it was an 'appliance' and needed to be intact and there was a heap of paperwork to off load and I don't believe one got money for it. Water heaters fall into that category as well. I had to take to a different yard where I got $0 for it other than to get rid of it. And they wonder why people leave their crap by the side of the road. I would have been better off if I had left it intact. Talk about stupid regs that turn people into litter criminals. They day may come when I can no longer tolerate the stupidity that is imposed upon us. The fact alone that I can't purchase the firearms I'd like to own pisses me off enough already.
Bradford

[James] I have been to Sacramento, hiked along the American River, and seen Folsom Prison from a distance. There is a great railroad museum there.

I would not be surprised to find that some individuals ran auto repair operations out of residences. Some years ago I had to ask a tenant to leave and they left behind a customer's car in the driveway. California inflicted HVLP spray guns on much of the US. This could spread.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sacramento-county-says-its-illegal-to-w
ork-on-your-own-car-in-your-own-garage/ar-AADOizD?ocid=spartandhp

Looks like you would want a door to enter your garage or back building without zoning inspectors seeing the tractors, trucks, or cars being worked on inside and keep it locked. Make sure you legally dispose of motor oil, antifreeze, etc. Some areas have detection equipment in the sewage lines.

I only use my impact tools in broad daylight on things I can't get loose with a breaker bar. When it is snowing or raining I figure neighbors do not hear.

Where I work right now there are bins for ferrous scrap. Since they sell it, your contribution is ignored as long as it doesn't cause a rejection.

The acid test will come when they will not give a building permit for a residential garage or pole barn that looks like you might be doing prohibited repairs in it. Jay Leno has the solution. Get a big enough building and they will leave you alone.