[AT] Sad times

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Wed Jul 24 15:30:47 PDT 2019

Had to take a trip to a town 20 miles from here today. Decided to bring
back roads home; pasted many old barns some falling down, some being
kept up. You could tell from the old milk houses that many had been
dairy farms. Many old silos, a lot with the blower pipes still up. All
are now a part of the past, a past that will never come back. Many
memories came to mine of how it used to be, farms all over with small
herds of cattle and the family making a living. My dad was able to raise
6 kids and send most to college on 160 acres; my mother never worked off
the farm- she never worked on the farm either but thats a whole other
story. Now we have several farms in the county that milk over 5000 cows.
The most my dad milked was 36 cows and I had 3 uncles that did about the
same. My favorite time of year was chopping corn silage, I can still
smell the smell of fresh chopped corn as I unloaded it into the blower.
Now you don't get near it. My cousin chops 12 rows at a time with 1100
horsepower and fills a semi in 3 and a half minutes but no one touches
the silage. My brother talked to an older guy yesterday from northern
Michigan that has a lot of hay ground and can sell small squares for $8
a bale; however he only harvests 20 acres because none of todays younger
people will handle bales. Just within two miles of me, three guys with a
little over 100 acres each have quit and rented the land out, none were
retirement age. I know they say change is the only thing certain in
life, but  I,m not sure that a lot of it is really good for us, or maybe
I'm just old and set in my ways.