[AT] antifreeze toxicity was OT - oil stop leak

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Mon Feb 18 05:02:31 PST 2019

My brother in law is a chemist - in his experience in industrial
chemistry, they used ethylene glycol and propylene glycol
interchangeably as solvents, based on what was available and cheap.

[Note: He was NOT involved in food-grade chemicals, he works with fire
retardants!]

Propylene glycol is roughly 1/3 as toxic (as measured by LD50 with rats)
as ethylene glycol. By most standards, even ethylene glycol is not very
toxic, but it's a hazard because the sweet taste can lead animals (and
humans, in my personal experience) to consume the stuff. Given that they
are both used as specialized industrial solvents, it's not surprising
that these compounds can do funny things to rubber radiator hoses. I
don't doubt that part of the testing of materials for radiator hoses
includes resistance to all commonly used antifreeze compounds.

A bit of agriculture: Back in the day before it was banned, we
discovered the hard way that the herbicide Lasso (common name alachlor)
did nasty things to some types of hoses. We had to change out all the
hoses on a spray rig at least once before we figured it out.

Mark J