[AT] OT - oil stop leak

Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
Fri Feb 15 22:15:17 PST 2019

Interesting,  I have about 7500 on this oil change, used to do it every
5000, but my wife drives 100% highway miles, so I went with the Mobil 1
extended change version, which is good to 15,000. I can't bring myself
to go 15,000, but 10, 000 is a good compromise. I'm going to go to 5w30
versus the 0w20 it calls for and add ATP-AT205 sealer, it gets really
good reviews on Amazon.

Mike M

On 2/15/2019 7:59 PM, toma at risingnet.net wrote:

> My Jetta diesel when it was due for an oil change would start weeping
> oil from the valve cover gasket. I would at least try an oil change. I
> believe you will find it to be a concentric seal. It might well
> respond to some of those sealer products. I don't think it would do
> any harm.
>
> --
> Sent from myMail for Android
>
> Friday, 15 February 2019, 01:31PM -08:00 from Mike M meulenms at gmx.com
> <mailto:meulenms at gmx.com>:
>
>     Thanks Phil, Normally I'd agree with fixing it right, but I can't
>     convince myself that sinking $1600 into a $5000 car is worth it. I
>     have
>     a feeling that this car is going to start nickle and diming me
>     from here
>     on out. It's been a great car, the only thing I've had to do to is
>     are
>     brakes and battery. Not bad for 165,000 mi.
>
>     Regards,
>     Mike M
>
>     On 2/15/2019 5:38 PM, Phil Auten wrote:
>     > Mike, Unfortunately, the rear main seal will have to be replaced. I
>     > have no faith in the stop leak products at all. There is one
>     possible
>     > way to do it and that is to drop the pan and remove the rear
>     main cap.
>     > IF and only IF the rear main seal is two piece, you may be able to
>     > slide the upper half out and slide the new half back in and then
>     > install the new lower half into the main cap and reattach,
>     tourquing
>     > to spec. This is all dependent on the seal being two piece and
>     the pan
>     > can be removed with the engine still in the car. I know very little
>     > about Toyotas and only a little about the FWD models. Good luck!
>     >
>     > Phil in TX
>     >
>     >
>     > On 2/14/2019 10:46 PM, Mike M wrote:
>     >> Hi, all, my wife has a 2010 Camry with 165,000 miles, it runs and
>     >> drives like new. I noticed some oil puddles on the garage floor
>     and
>     >> when i crawled under it, it looked like it was coming from the
>     >> transmission. Took it to the shop and they diagnosed as a leaking
>     >> rear engine seal. Cost to fix it, $1600, they need to drop the
>     engine
>     >> and transmission. $140 is parts and the rest is labor. I'm not
>     a big
>     >> fan of stop leak products, but in this case, she can park on a
>     piece
>     >> of OSB to soak up the oil and Ill just have to check it more
>     often.
>     >> Has any one here have any experience with the stop leak
>     products on
>     >> the market? I really don't have much to lose.
>     >>
>     >> Thanks, Mike M
>     >>
> [...]

---