[AT] Was Old tractor question; now collection dynamics.

Mark Johnson markjohnson100 at centurylink.net
Thu Feb 14 05:31:06 PST 2019

Here are a few memories...

Although I now live in the city, I have a 1940 JD H (narrow front!) in
my shed, awaiting when I have time to get it running and restored.
Little Johnny was purchased by my grandfather, brand new, in 1941. Until
he came into my hands, he was a 'working' tractor that always had a job
to perform. In my younger days I used it to:

- Pull wagonloads of corn from the field to the grain bins, then unhitch
from the wagon, and hook the PTO to the elevator to unload. The real fun
was getting a load of corn around a sharp corner while going up a 30
degree slope, with a railroad crossing at the top. Take a good run at it
in low gear, and don't try it if there was a train in sight...which
could be fairly frequently, in the mid 1970's the now-abandoned Monon
sometimes had 12 trains a day.

- Rake hay. When I was 12 or so, we had the clutch set up so tight that
I couldn't yank it out on one occasion; I remember my dad having to run
up behind me, jump on the hitch, and pull the clutch out so I could stop.

- On one memorable occasion, all 12 HP were put to use to pull one of
our 730's plus 110 bushels of corn out of a mud hole. Kind of like the
tail wagging the dog, but we got it done!

Little Johnny has a dent in the hood, underneath the steering shaft,
that I will not be fixing...here's the story: Sometime in the middle
1940's my dad and his brother cut down a tree, which fell the wrong way
and landed on top of the tractor, 'twanging' the steering shaft and
flexing it far enough to put a nice little crease in the sheet metal.
The shaft didn't bend or break, and when my dad and granddad repainted
the tractor in the late 1970's they didn't fix the dent - so I won't
either. My dad is now gone, and his brother is approaching 90 years old
and in poor health, but that dent is a family memory...

Other tractors we had back then:

- JD A with high-altitude piston kit; compression was high enough it
wouldn't start when cold without opening the cylinder cocks. The hot-rod
kit to increase starter torque was a flop. That year of A was rated at
38 HP, ours pulled 43 on a PTO dynamometer  with nothing more than new
plugs.

- JD 620, essentially stock. Not sure what has happened to it; I have a
connecting rod from its last overhaul stashed in my garage. A truly
beefy piece.

- Two Diesel 730's, one with fenders and one without. I think they were
built in two different years, the gearing was slightly different...the
no-fenders tractor had a 5th gear that clipped along at about 7 mph at
rated speed...great for driving in for lunch. Both of them could plow
all day on one tank of fuel. My cousin has one of them, the other was
sold. I can't remember if both came from one tractor, or one from each,
but we had two cracked flywheels at 100 lbs each, sitting around the
farm for many years...my cousin and I threatened to build a heavy-weight
cart out of them, using the equally-beefy drive axle that was the last
remaining part of great-great-uncle Jim's 1903 Cadillac. I think all
those pieces got bulldozed into a hole after the arsonist burned down
the barn on my grandfather's place.

- The one oddball in the fleet, my maternal grandfather's Farmall 300.
We mostly used it to mow hay, left the 9W mower hooked up most of the
summer. Also used it to carry a platform with fence building/repair
supplies into places where a pickup couldn't go. Never a great tractor,
but it always would start in the winter, and often pulled or
belt-started one of the 730's. This was the tractor that suffered the
short in the starter solenoid on me while I was a half-mile from the
house, clipping pasture. As far as I know, the engine has never been
torn down.

- An AC 190XT - never a great tractor, engine had to be re-sleeved after
it developed antifreeze leaks.

- An AC 210 - no cab, tremendous pulling power - would pull 6 16"
bottoms with ease. Big drawback...not enough radiator. If you ran it at
full rated RPM in heavy Indiana clay soil, it would overheat within a
couple hundred yards. I tried for 2 years to talk Pop into spending
$1000 or so to have a special radiator built for it with an extra row of
tubes, so it would cool. An oddity: we got it when it was about 5-6
years old, but we were the first legitimate owner. It had been stolen
from a dealer lot when new, then somebody else stole it from that guy.
It got back into 'circulation' when a sheriff's deputy caught the second
thief and his brother trying to pull-start it on a cold morning. They
didn't seem to know what they were doing, so the officer called the
serial number in...and sure enough, it came back as stolen. It sat on a
lot for 3 years or so while the insurance company, original dealer, and
AC fought over the details. We got it for a very reasonable price, with
only about 250 hours on the tach. Hadn't been abused, the guys who stole
it never even pulled the seal wires off the fuel injection pump to
attempt to boost output (with the aforementioned radiator, it wouldn't
have helped much anyway).

- An AC 8030 - full airconditioned cab, 10-15 more HP than the 210 (same
engine block, more blower). Had enough radiator to run at full power
with that 6 bottom plow...and almost was enough to get me to come back
to the farm when I was about 35 or so. Still on the farm, used by a
neighbor who rents the tillable acreage. A/C compressor no longer holds
refrigerant, so it is not pleasant to drive in high summer any more!
Price of a new compressor was/is outrageous. [Tractor aircon has always
been problematic...designers don't realize what a hostile mechanical
environment a farm tractor can be; seals and fittings that work fine in
automotive use just don't stand up in the field.]

Good times in southern Indiana...

Mark J
Columbia MO