[AT] Was Old tractor question; now collection dynamics.

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Thu Feb 14 03:56:13 PST 2019

You hit it with memories. My great uncle made his own tractors, and so my early memories are of tractor shows. I loved the big tractors and steam engines, I was knee high to a grasshopper, so they were really impressive. Still are now that I'm big. They are mostly unaffordable, but I want a 60/30 heavy oil pull.

The first tractor I ever drove was a model titan that my great uncle built. He sold that and build a second which I now have. Turns out to be my goto tractor for fun, it starts easy and is easy to drive. You can't do much with only 3 horse power, but I don't have much to do. I've never been a farmer.

My model John deere D is built on a 1.5 horse John deere e hit n miss. It is fun to drive, though my son (now 5) doesn't let me often. Generally I walk beside it for safety while he drives.

My grey tractor is the last one I have that my great uncle made. In my memories it is yellow and had a now missing log splitter attached. Someday to I need to build one to get it right. This is my only tractor with electric start, something I can do without: electric start tractors were too modern to get into shows when I was a kid. (this is probably not true, but in my memory...)

The other tractors in my memory are from my dad's side, he was a farmer at one time and still kept the tractors. He traded a Ford-Ferguson for an 8n. I remember with my cousin trying to push it to prove how strong we were (now that I'm older I wonder if taking it out of gear might have made us successful). Until she died a couple years ago I wanted to take it with her to a show with it just to hear the announcer say "that is the original owner driving". This tractor now belongs to my uncle.

Then grandpa bought a Ford 860, this is the tractor of my dad's memories, he has 3 when it showed up and that was very exciting for him. Now my dad has it.

Last grandpa bought a John deere B for cheap at an auction because nobody else was bidding. My dad drove it home (5 miles or so). Now it is my big tractor as my son calls it. It is mostly used for hay rides.

Last is a homemade lawn tractor that grandpa made from a David Bradley and model A Ford parts. It runs but the clutch needs work so it doesn't drive. This was mostly built as a pto for a grain elevator.

I moved to Moline IL a month ago, I have a 40x60 poll barn to store this all in. However getting boxes unpacked has been using most of my limited time. The B did get put to some use getting everything to the trailer. I haven't had the energy to write anything about the move though.

--
 Henry Miller
 hank at millerfarm.com