[AT] fuel gelling and water line repair

ustonThomas Mehrkam tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 11 07:20:09 PST 2019

It will keep you young or Kill you that is for sure.
    On Monday, February 11, 2019, 8:00:12 AM CST, Cecil Bearden <crbearden at copper.net> wrote:

Spent 7 hours on Friday getting the E110B Cat excavator running.   Our 15degree nights and 30 degree days were too much for the summer blend fuel..   After setting a 500K BTU torch under the engine for 2 minutes it fired up and run.   Gasoline was the best starting fluid as ether was too hot for it....  We had a water line leak in a place that was nearly inaccessible due to machinery, etc.  Tree roots are taking a toll on the 35yr old glue joint PVC pipe.  Noticed water leaking on Tuesday when we were trying to get shale spread to take care of the worst mud and wet spell ever.  Finally cut the water off on Wednesday it was just too much.  Thursday was 20deg and 40mph wind so could not do a thing.  Friday was the excavator problem.  Saturday we dug out each end of the line at the valve and where it had been repaired last summer due to tree roots.  The house was shut off because of the way the lines were set up.  still had sheep pen water, and water to Dad's old double wide, but not to my home.   I checked the distance on Google Earth and it showed 275 ft.  I decided to cut each end and feed a 3/4 inch Pex inside the 1inch PVC 200psi.  It had 1/4 inch difference.  Saturday I had to quit due to exhaustion when I got the lines exposed and reconnected valves to serve the house and separate the lines to the cattle water.  Had water in the House now.  Sun morning, We ( me and my wife) tried to such a baler twine thru the pipe with the shop vac after sucking 10 gallons of water out.  The line would no quite go thru.  Fired up the old Ingersoll D250 compressor with the 4-53 Detroit.  It nearly  had fuel gelling, but I had filled it before starting and the fuel tank now had some Howe's conditioner in it.  Blew the remaining twine to the end  of the line!!  Victory!!  Then we pulled a 1/4 inch nylon rope thru the pipe.   I drilled 2 sets of holes thru the Pex  pipe perpendicular and used some baling wire to make 2 loops to hook the rope in.  Then I taped the Pex and rope with duct tape to make a tapered end.   We pulled the pipe thru with the 4 wheeler while trying to keep the 300 ft roll of Pex from wrapping itself into a knot.  Almost did it.  Had to stop and Untangle once.  How it wrapped around itself 3 times I don't know.  Got pipe pulled in with about 6 ft to spare.  About 4pm had water to the cattle tanks.  Now we still have a day of back filling and installing access manholes to the valves.

Somehow, the cattle knocked the floats on the tanks and water is all over the corrals this morning!!!   Life on the farm!!

Cecil

 AT mailing list
 AT at lists.antique-tractor.com