[AT] 3 hydraulic pressures in MF 1155 was 8.9 liter Perkins

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 23 14:07:57 PST 2019

I have read that the Ford NAA used live hydraulics as part of the Ford/Ferguson lawsuit settlement. If the Fordson Dexta was copied from the NAA to be a TE20 beater I assume the Dexta had live hydraulics. Wonder why they did not really make it a TE20 killer by going to live PTO standard

[Cecil Bearden] Back in 1981 I bought a Dexta diesel from the OK dept of Wildlife at auction.  It has been sitting for many years.  Got it home and cleaned up, but it just would not start.  I had cleaned the fuel system and installed new filters.  I put in 5 gallons of fresh fuel and a quart of Siloo Diesel conditioner.   Back then it was the best thing for fuel systems available.  Dad then pulled me with the Massey 85 for about 10 minutes before it began to fire off.   When it finally got to running, it would only run about 400 rpm.   It gradually began to speed up over about 30 minutes.   I then filled the tank and let it set and run overnight.  We had also changed the transmission oil.  It turned out to be a really good tractor.  I repainted it and sold it to a Dr. with a farm in the Southeast part of the state.  If it had a live PTO, I would have kept it..

[Cecil Bearden] The high pressure 3000+ psi for lift, the 1500+ for steering and then  the +/-500 psi for multi power clutches controls and PTO controls.   We  had one for several years.  MF left out a snap ring in the PTO clutch  and it did not work for the original owner.  It was 6 years old when  we bought it.  We had to pull the cab and the top deck to find the  problem.  A few years later my Dad put the wrong oil in the hydraulics  and the multi power and PTO started to have problems.   Later found  the O-rings were going bad and to repair meant nearly a complete  disassembly of the tractor.   It went to Mexico.

 A few years later we bought a 7030 Allis Chalmers to replace that  tractor.  The Allis has the same features and a few more, but only one  pressure system.   After I sealed off the dash to get the Air  conditioner working it was  very good tractor and very simple. The  problem with it now is a large diameter O-ring in the main clutch is  going bad.  It means a split of the tractor, but can be repaired for a 2 day job...

 I really liked that 1155 Massey, but it developed so many problems and  used so much fuel it was a pain.  The V-8 has to be kept running above 1900 rpm or it gets hot...    Our 1155 was built while Massey was  having a lot of problems.  I grew up in a MF dealership, and I bled  red & grey, had red & grey underwear too.  But that 1155 we had just  ruined Massey as far as I am concerned.   They got more complicated  than necessary.

 [James Peck]  That is an 8.9 liter engine?

 What are the three pressure systems?

 The late 30's narrow front experimental Ford/Fordson tractors that  Charlie Sorensen claimed would work better than the 9N had a gas V8. For the same displacement, an inline 6 will usually have more low end  torque.

 [ Cecil Bearden] Farmer: Be very careful about that 1155 V-8 diesel.    They are a money pit...     Those Masseys have a hydraulic system  that has three separate pressure systems.   the O-rings can go bad  and give you a real headache.   Make sure the multi power works and  try the PTO on the mower to be sure the pto clutch is holding. That V-8 diesel has to operate at a lot higher rpm than a 6 cyl and  it uses a LOT of fuel....  We owned one for several years.