[AT] Antique tractors that are too expensive

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Dec 22 13:42:44 PST 2019

I always wanted an old Lincoln "tombstone"225 AC/DC welder.  They sell
at auction for over $1000.    An old local farmer had an estate auction
and I was at the back of the crowd when his Lincoln Tombstone welder
came up for auction.  I got it for $400, but after I got it home is was
a tombstone, but it was AC only.....  I finally got the chance to buy
one on Craigs list for $600.  Then a year later I bought 4 that had been
rebuilt for a VO-Tech out west for $450 for the lot!!!   I first welded
with one of them during college at OSU.  I fell in love with the
welder.   Those welders have an open arc voltage of about 90V.  They
will make you jump when welding on wet stuff...  However, they run 7018
LH as pretty as you could ever want.  I have mounted one on a 15KW
generator for a portable welder.  It works great and I have plenty of
power to run grinders etc.
Cecil