[AT] [OT] Has anyone seen one of these??

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Dec 20 12:06:38 PST 2019

Spencer Yost wrote:
> DC grids slowly lost ground in the 1900s, so if the vacuum is really
> that old (1912) then it seems likely to have a universal motor
> designed to run on both.   The DC grid was similar voltage, so 115
> would be right.
>
> I remember that the last DC grid only came down sometime In the last
> few decades.   I remember because I was incredulous that one existed
> when I read about it - and get this - IN A NEWSPAPER.  Remember
> those? (-;
>
> Electrical guys in the group are going to have to jump in a fact
> check me on all this.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Full DC power grids still exist in some cities today! San Fransisco shut
their last rectifier grid down in 2011. But Chicago and Boston still
have DC grids running with AC. It powers a lot of the old infrastructure
in the oldest buildings. In other cities the DC is generated at the
buildings needing it.

Other than a very few test locks, all of the locks on the Erie Canal
still use DC power for the lock motors and lift winches.

--
Steve W.