[AT] OT stamping press pits

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:25:17 PST 2019

Actually about $200 an acre is pretty much the standard here in Central
Indiana right now for good tillable land (corn / soybean ground).
Here is a part of an article from a local digital local newspaper about a
week ago, describing some county owned property about a mile south west of
me:
********
County Farm Ground Purchased Over 170 Years Ago Now Generates Income
Shelby County farm ground that is once again up for lease has a long and
storied history. Shelby County Commissioners will hold open bidding for a
two-year lease on two tracts of ground a week from today. One tract is
196.8 acres of tillable land, located at Shelby Manor in Shelby Township.
The second tract is 230.9 acres of tillable land at the Tindall Farm, also
in Shelby Township.
********
I should see the results very soon. It typically runs high rent. I don't
follow it closely but the last one I read about a year or two ago was $278
an acre per year. It "might" be lower this time since some guys are running
pretty tight right now and a number of progressive farmers that often
skated quite close to the edge fell over that edge...
******
A tiny place just at the north of our farm that had belonged to the late
mother of a 1960 classmate just sold in the last 30 days. As in many such
homes she had been unable to keep up with repairs for quite a few years and
it was not much of a house to start with. It had about 9 acres, with maybe
1 acre tillable if you cut some brush and little of it is flat. It could be
made suitable for a few horses etc. It has an older smallish pole barn and
an old fair sized chicken house.
Some real estate guy bought it to flip... They painted the pole barn and
chicken house and cleared a little brush. They had to take down the 1 car
attached garage because it was sitting on the septic tank. They put up a
detached 2.5 car garage near one corner of the house and did a "remodel" of
the house including an unimpressive porch on the front, a new metal roof
and new siding. Diana and I stopped and looked in a few windows one day
after the for sale sign went up. It looked nice but without a quality house
of size to start with it was kind of an odd layout. Don't get me wrong, I
would live in it but it was not a Chip and Joanna Gaines project.  😀  It
looks "nice" from the road with "nice" being a flexible word. It still
screams, "I am a very bland, nondescript, small, old house that has been
remodeled very plainly and still looks like a cheap house".
I guess it did what they wanted... Listed price was $329,000 and I
understand from my friend that it sold at about $2,000 over asking...
********

.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"