[AT] Tractor Hauling pickup

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Dec 5 15:13:06 PST 2019

Ken Knierim wrote:
> Steve,
>    Do you happen to have any recommendations for my stock 86 K5 Blazer
> 10 bolt to upgrade it to limited slip?
> Just back from a (wet) hunting trip and limited slip would have been a
> nice thing to have... and those axles I have are pretty tired.
>
> Now that I've put EFI on the truck and it runs fine, the rest of the
> truck is coming under scrutiny. :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken in AZ

Depends on the use of the truck. For an 80-90% on road truck application
something like an Eaton Tru-Trac or a Torsen is a good choice. It's a
geared unit so no clutches to wear out and no special lube additives.
They are quiet and because of the way they operate you can run them in
both the front and rear diffs without causing binding or steering
issues. A big bonus is that they operate seamlessly with no driver input
needed.
They also are not that expensive in that vehicle, somewhere in the
$500.00 area for the unit.

If on the other hand it spends the majority of life off road AND you can
deal with their quirks a true locker in the rear with either a geared
LSD or selectable locker in the front would be the ticket as there would
be enough slippage to reduce the strain they put on the axles. However
they will increase tire wear, turning radius and are NOISY as they lock
and unlock.

--
Steve W.