[AT] Tractor Hauling pickup

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 05:46:34 PST 2019

Steve,
    This vehicle was my tractor hauler for some time but since I got the
Cummins-powered rig it's relegated to less pulling duties. On highway usage
will be to and from the 4 wheeling areas (hunting or whatever) and whatever
snowy and muddy roads throw at it. I've long been a believer in
understanding the vehicle limits and staying within them and focusing on
how to work with what I have (read: too cheap to buy limited slip axles...
learn to drive without them). This hunting trip showed me what new vehicles
can do as my hunting buddy took his 2012 Ram diesel down some pretty hairy
stuff and it rarely slipped a wheel. Some was due to the traction control,
some was tires, some was driver (he's good). I wasn't sure my Blazer could
have gone where he took that beast.

In short, I'm looking for a slight upgrade over the (worn out) stock axles
this half-ton chassis has. I have to rebuild or replace them anyway due to
wear and I don't want to splurge for 1 ton axles with lockers (and gears
and brakes and rims and tires and springs and...). I can get a set of used
axles in way better shape for a couple hundred bucks, put in the gears I'm
looking for (around 4.10's for the 33" tires and slow/bumpy terrain) and
limited slip if it's not too expensive. I've seen kits with the clutch
plate style from $260 to over $600 depending on name/manufacturer and style
(with Detroit Lockers and the other top shelf stuff way more expensive) and
I'm wondering if there's a real difference or if it's mostly marketing. I'm
looking at the Auburn, Richmond Gear and Eaton versions currently and
they're $370 to $500. There's a bunch of what look like China built ones
for less but I'm hoping to stay away from "guinea pig" status on those. A
breakdown 3 hours from town would more than pay for the difference.

I appreciate your insight.

Ken in AZ