[AT] layoffs

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 4 08:12:29 PST 2019

Most likely they had not thought that far ahead. The next person interviwed and who asked that question got told of all sort of “possibilities”.

Jim Thomson AT List Member with Lean Six Sigma (macowboy at comcast.net); There could be another twist to the layoffs. When large corporation announce layoffs the stock price usually goes up. Raytheon and United Technologies are merging in the 1st quarter of 2020. Both stock prices took a hit. UTC announced a "voluntary separation" where the employees got a nice severance package. There were so many people in Montreal that wanted out they had to have a lottery! Anyway the stock prices are up above where they were when the merger was announced this summer. In another job, the CEO announced that he would get the stock price above $100. This was in 2009, really bad times. It was close but no cigar until the company laid off 2000 people. Magically the stock price went to $110 and the CEO got a $10 million dollar bonus.

  I had a phone interview with Halliburton a few years back. The position was a Lean Six Sigma engineer to be used to sped up the assembly process for specialized oil field trucks. Everything was straight forward until I asked what was going to happen to the position once new processes were in place. There was silence on the phone and things took a bad turn. I saw that coming miles away! I cut the interview short and withdrew my name.