[AT] OT don't take any Buffalo Nickels

James Peck jamesgpeck at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 6 06:44:20 PST 2019

There are many high paying jobs where fluency in English and Spanish both is required. This validates my grandfather's advice, largely untaken, to learn Spanish.  I suddenly saw the merit is his advice when I got the red light one day at a Brownsville/Matamoros border crossing.

However, studying French teaches you many things about English that you do not learn in English class. It also shows the many words that English absorbed from French after the Norman invasion. A household member subscribes to "History Today", a UK publication. They frequently have a page where they interview a major author and ask a series of questions with the answers. One question is "Norman or Anglo Saxon". I eagerly wait for the recipient to remove the wrapper so I can read each issue also. No article about tractors so far.

Cecil Bearden AT list member, Oklahoma farmer, and Professional Engineer (crbearden at copper.net); When I was in pre high school, I had both French and Latin courses.  In High school I represented my school at a regional contest in foreign languages in French.  If only that effort had been spent in Spanish, it would be worthwhile.  Now at my age I cannot find the time of brain capacity to learn Spanish.  I only wish I had taken Spanish so I could converse with my Mexican friends and workers..