[AT] tire brand

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 07:03:06 PDT 2019

My father had a set of these on his Ford 9N and spent a lot of time cussing
them, said he would never buy any again. They were bad at loading up with
our waxy clay mud when trying to back out of a wet spot. They were smooth
on the road though which would make them good on antique tractors for
parades and drives. Then of course they look "proper" on old tractors. As
you say, they need to come in more sizes like at least a 12.4 and 13.6 and
at least the same widths in a 38" tire, and also at about half the current
price. $1,100 plus is a lot of money for a set for old tractors that are
very rarely earning their keep... Larger sizes would be higher and maybe
even exponentially so. Few people want to spend $2,000 getting new tires
put on an $1,800 tractor.  :-)
I constantly watch consignment auctions for "functional" used tires like
Spencer mentioned. Something else I have done several times is buy a rough
tractor with a pair of good rears and take them off to use on something
that needs them and then sell the donor tractor. One I recall was a Co-op
that had been back-flipped in a woods. I bought it for $200, took the rears
off and ran them on my Deere A for years and sold the Co-op for a little
more than I paid for it. Another one was a rough Allis WC with nearly new
rears bought cheap and the tires swapped with a really crappy set on a very
good WD I had. I also sold that old WC for a tiny profit. It would have
been even better if I could have just switched wheels but you can't have
everything. I was a good bit younger then and swapping rears wasn't nearly
as much work as it is now.  :-)
.
Here is a pic from Miller's.
[image: image.png]