[AT] Adding electric starter

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 20:47:44 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Herb Metz <metz-h.b at comcast.net> wrote:

> Saw an old F-12 or F-14 at Jasper, GA tractor show last fall. Guy crawler
> on, hit the starter, and it started immediately.  He looked around and saw
> me watching so I gave him a thumbs up, his response was the biggest grin of
> the day.  He had adapted a certain model Corvette ring gear (a bit smaller
> or thinner(?) if memory serves) and bolted a starter above the ring gear
> and
> above the right side frame.  Was sharing this with a mechanic neighbor who
> has a good looking old F-12; his plans are to do similar except belt the
> starter to a V-belt pulley mounted on the PTO.
> When I was still at home I had considered adding a V-belt to the belt
> pulley
> on our 1938 CC Case, then add generator, battery and lights, but Dad would
> never agree.  I never thought about using the PTO.
> Some of you guys might want to consider that if your favorite show tractor
> predates electric starters..
> Herb(GA)
>

> Hi Herb: Take a look at the electric starter kit for the Gravely model L
garden tractor. They turn over pretty hard. It's a fair sized roller chain
sprocket with a sprag clutch of some type. The starter has a tiny little
sprocket on it. That sprag clutch must be pretty good, I have never taken
one apart before.  :-)   The starter is a large one.
I found a picture of one on-line.

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA