[AT] Adding electric starter

Herb Metz metz-h.b at comcast.net
Wed Feb 8 19:14:04 PST 2017

Saw an old F-12 or F-14 at Jasper, GA tractor show last fall. Guy crawler
on, hit the starter, and it started immediately.  He looked around and saw
me watching so I gave him a thumbs up, his response was the biggest grin of
the day.  He had adapted a certain model Corvette ring gear (a bit smaller
or thinner(?) if memory serves) and bolted a starter above the ring gear and
above the right side frame.  Was sharing this with a mechanic neighbor who
has a good looking old F-12; his plans are to do similar except belt the
starter to a V-belt pulley mounted on the PTO.
When I was still at home I had considered adding a V-belt to the belt pulley
on our 1938 CC Case, then add generator, battery and lights, but Dad would
never agree.  I never thought about using the PTO.
Some of you guys might want to consider that if your favorite show tractor
predates electric starters..
Herb(GA)