[Farmall] m

Jim Becker mr.jebecker at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 20:29:00 PST 2016

For flood irrigation, usually (as far as I know) the rows are heavily
hilled, creating v-like trenches between the rows.  With dual fronts, if you
are a little off center, the tire against the hill tries to pull the tractor
farther off center.  A single stays more easily in the center.  In some of
the dryland areas, big ridges are used for moisture control (e.g. highland
cotton).  They used single fronts for the same tracking reason.

In some small vegetable operations, they want to plant rows very close
together.  A single front is less of a constraint on narrow rows.  A wide
front is often preferred for vegetables, same reason.

The narrow duals can be a big problem in mud.  Aftermarket mud scrapers came
along to help this.  I recall one year when it caused a problem chopping
corn on my dad's farm.  We had to go through one big mud hole each time
around the field.  We had the chopper and wagon behind an M with a wide
front.  It didn't have a problem with the front wheels but couldn't pull the
whole rig through the mud.  A second tractor got chained to the front each
time around and dropped off once past the mud.  The second tractor was a MH
44 with a narrow front.  They finally unbolted one front wheel and ran on a
single.  Steering wasn't easy but at least the remaining wheel would keep
turning.

Jim Becker