[AT] OT LED question - with tractors and farming correlation added!

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Nov 2 16:23:48 PDT 2016

I must comment about the government comments. The standards have
mandated higher efficiency bulbs as noted multiple times on this list,
but never required a specific type. I personally have mixed feelings
about the LEDs as they are much easier on my eyes assuming they are not
pointed at my eyes, but for use in automotive and truck applications
they are documented to cause problems for eyesight.
      The CFLs on the other hand from the first I ever saw to the last
all are hard on my eyes and nearly everyone else's. "Old-fashioned"
flourescent lights flicker visibly to my eyes unless they are the full
spectrum ones such as the Ott lights or the grow lamps.
      We used to use the high pressure lamps in our packing shed and
they gave ok light, but when I replaced with the LEDs everyone noticed
that it was easier to see and the colors were closer to accurate.
(Obligatory farming reference!)
      Staying on the farming topic, I used to be able to drive the
tractors at night without lights whenever there was either a moon or
clear starlight. Now thanks to all of the "security" lighting at nearly
everyones homes and shops and yards as well as the super bright
headlights on the roads, I can no longer do so! Yes, my eyes are not as
good as they were 40 years ago, but whenever I am out where there are no
vehicle or building lights, I still can and do do so. That validates my
thesis that we are literally blinding ourselves! Interestingly enough
there are now occasional articles that point out that phenomenon....
                   Grant Brians