[AT] Field bindweed or morning glory

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat May 28 05:16:11 PDT 2016

The local coop manager told me yesterday that the flowering stage was
the best time to hit bindweed with 2,4-d.  I am going to try to spray
asap, but with 40% rain for the next 5 days, it does not look promising.

The last 2 years have proven to be great for weeds and terrible for
cattle.  I have 4 replacement heifers that we raised.  I lost a calf
from a good cow due to an umbilical hernia, that had never happened to
me.   I lost a calf last week due to not finding the heifer in time to
help.   I lost one calf yesterday morning after getting this one in the
corral and checking on her every 2 hours, The last time I checked on her
was 2:30 am and then at  6am she presented a hoof.   I wen t back to get
my truck with all vet supplies, and when I returned (5 min) and got her
in the chute, it was a hoof and a nose.  However, the right leg was back
and it was too far along to push back and readjust.  I had a vet on
site. Thanks to the calf puller we bought last year, we got the calf
pulled with one foot behind, by twisting the calf to get the shoulder
back.  The heifer is sore, but she got up and walked!!  A lot of times
with that much trouble, they don't walk again.  I had that problem with
one of my best cows last year during the wet spring.   The grass is so
good the calves are really big.  I had another younger one that had a
calf on her own 2 hours later.
I have had cattle around for over 50 years, and this is the first time I
have had this many calves lost.  We used to have cattle running on a
farm 60 miles south and only saw them on the weekends.  We lost  only 3
calves in 35 years.
Such is the life of a livestock owner.  The weather has been either too
wet for hay or so windy, if we cut anything, it would be in Kansas in 2
hours the wind has been so bad.  We had rain predicted every day this
week and it only rained here last night, however, the wind has been
20-35 every day this past week.  We have about 45 acres of Brome that
should have been cut 2 weeks ago.  If I could get the JD self propelled
swather transmission installed and back together,  I could cut with the
direction of the wind.  The pull type swather is just too difficult to
operate that way, so I just cut around the field.
Cecil in OKla