[AT] Field bindweed or morning glory

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Fri May 27 15:57:47 PDT 2016

On 5/27/2016 3:26 PM, Cecil Bearden wrote:
> Grant:
> When I was on a Saskatchewan farm many years go they had a Rod weeder.
> It was a wide sweep plow that had a turning  horizontal rod driven by
> the wheels across the back that would cause the weeds to roll out on top
> of the plowed ground.  I have a couple of JD chisel plows that need new
> wheel bearings.   One has sweeps and the other has points.  They might
> work.  The weeds would end up on top of the ground and dry up.
>
> Cecil in OKla
>

> On 5/27/2016 12:44 PM, Grant Brians wrote:
>> Here in California, there are several management techniques. First, as
>> noted Roundup will not touch it and as you noted, Cecil, 2-4-D won't
>> either. There are some very expensive chemicals that are out there that
>> can kill it, but the seeds still germinate. What we Organic farmers here
>> do is to rip the field where the Morning Glory / Field Bindweed is with
>> a ripper that has the wide points. This breaks roots and dries the soil.
>> If the soil is literally dry for long enough all of the plant parts that
>> are in the dry zone die and recovery if at all will be very slow. As a
>> chemical farmer, this technique would allow you to do many fewer sprays
>> and probably eliminate the pesky weed.
>>
>>                 Grant Brians - Hollister,California farmer of vegetables,
>> herbs, edible flowers, nuts and fruit

That is exactly the idea, we just take it further in the sense that
ripping is done because we then plant Carrots or other small seeded
crops. The key is to use up the resources of the plants so they cannot
make it to the surface of the soil and take up energy from the sun. If
that can occur, guaranteed death of the plant results. It may take a
while, but it works. If I were not so busy I would share some more
bindweed stories, lol. Off to check Spinach and see the Department of
Motor Vehicles. Guess which I would rather do!

                   Grant Brians