[AT] Off Topic not intended to be political

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Jul 21 13:36:18 PDT 2016

On 7/21/2016 11:33 AM, charlie hill wrote:
  That's precisely why the programs should go away now. There is enough
access to data and enough of a commodity market infrastructure that the
government controls really aren't needed other than tracking planting
data and crop conditions. Ralph can correct me if I'm wrong but I think
up north the government actually tells the farmer how much to sell, on
what dates and how much he's going to get paid. Right Ralph? That keeps
the farmers from going broke I guess but mainly it stabilizes prices to
the consumer. Charlie
Charlie, you are talking about the old Canadian Wheat Board which is
pretty much history now . The younger farmers/grain marketers thought
they could do a better job marketing the wheat than the wheat board did.
After a few years of that I am not so sure. As somebody already
commented, when grain prices and markets improve there is always someone
else, a middleman, who benefits more than the farmer.
I'm just in for late dinner after raking hay all morning. In the air
conditioned cab it is not a dirty or tiring job even at 82 degrees. But
thats not how my father and grandfathers did it.

Ralph in Sask.