[AT] Speaking of Stuck

Don don.bowen at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 16 10:03:34 PST 2016

Before I had a drivers license I was driving farm trucks to town and
back.  We were spreading Anhydrous Ammonia on what had been a WWII
emergency landing field.  It had been graded very level and well under
laid with drainage tile and large drains.   In the intervening 14 years
or so weeds had grown around the edges covering all signs of the
drainage.   We ran out of NH3 in the nurse tank which was mounted on the
back of our 2 ton Chevy truck.  I was sent to town to refill the tank
and as I backed down the edge of the field one of the drains broke and
the truck right rear wheels fell in.  It was deep enough that the truck
was on its frame and the front wheels were off the gground and I slid
across the seat.  It almost turned over.

We tried to pull it out with a tractor but all that did was tear up the
field.  We had to get a wrecker out to lift the rear up then pull it
away with a tractor.

My father and the owner were visiting when they sent me out.  As I was
backing he suddenly remember the large drain and started to yell but it
was too far away and too late.  He concluded it was his fault because he
had not mentioned it to either of us and weeds covered everything.

--
Don Bowen       --AD0NB--