[AT] Battery Charger recommendations

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Wed Apr 27 14:16:07 PDT 2016

I have three battery charges, not because I'm rich but due to necessity.
I first had a ten amp. but after using it once the neighbor borrowed it
and had it a year before I got it back to charge the combine.  A week
later he wanted to borrow it again and kept it for a few months until he
burned it up by hooking it up backwards with sparks flying; I myself saw
him do it a couple of times. Of course he never offered to pay for it. I
decided I wanted one with boost; I ended up with a Dayton with 150 amp.
boost. It has worked well for over 10 years but at the time I bought it
I looked all over and could not find one of that size with automatic
shutoff; I think maybe now some are available. I didn't like guessing if
the battery was charged so I bought a ten amp. Solar brand ;not sun
operated, charger for about $40 (ten years ago). It is automatic so if I
have time I leave it on until it shuts off. If I'm in a hurry and want
to get something started I use the big charger just to add some juice to
get it started. Unfortunately, I think the 10 amp might be toast as the
last couple of times it shuts off every 30 seconds and then restarts
again. I guess I'll give it one more try. A couple of years ago John
Deere had a 1 and a half amp charger-maintainer on sale for $40. I use
that in the winter or when I might forget it for a couple of weeks. What
I like about it is that it can charge a battery although slowly. It has
a red light saying it is charging and a green light saying fully
charged. I bought it because a couple of the cheap maintainers my
brother bought have warnings to only use them on fully charged
batteries. This may be the reason some of you are having bad luck with
the cheap ones if a battery has to be brought up to charge ( mine you I
said MAY be, there could be others reasons such as poorly built to start
with). The 1 and a half amp charger has reverse hook up protection and
will say if the battery can't be charged. Probably more than you wanted
to know.
     Greg Hass