[AT] Charlie Hill

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:29:48 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Mike <meulenms at gmx.com> wrote:

> Cecil and Charlie, you are right about that, Sunday a man was killed
> while watching his neighbor cut down a tree. The tree spun and went in a
> direction it wasn't supposed to go; for some reason he was only 32' from
> the tree with his back turned. I won't speak ill of the dead, but that
> choice cost him his life. The guy cutting the tree always has an easier
> time adjusting his position if the thing changes direction. Mike M

Years ago I had a small part time excavating business. I constantly had to
stop digging to get people to move away, sometimes pissing them off. It
never failed, if I was digging a trench or foundation somebody was walking
up to the side of the hole wanting to look in the hole to watch. My old
Deere backhoe was a bit tired and loose but it was very fast. Somebody used
to new stuff probably couldn't have used it.
:-)
I used to start out across a lot or field digging a trench and in order to
drop the bucket into the trench while digging fast I had to release the
swing control several feet away from the ditch and let it swing past the
ditch and rebound a bit and drop it at just the right time. Not the sort of
thing you want to be doing with someone standing close up on the edge of
the ditch... People just couldn't grasp the danger. Also most ditches were
pretty shallow, like 3 or 4 feet but in a few cases I was digging 10 or 12
feet and you don't want to be standing on the edge of a hole like that
anytime. Good way to get buried.
I also used to maintain several local factory lots, mostly bush-hogging,
and I had a lot of trouble with a few bordering houses letting their kids
come out and play at the fence line while I was chopping some pretty rough
stuff just across the fence. Just no grasp of danger. I used to quit mowing
there and the when they went in would zip back over and chop a pass or two
before they came running back out. Crazy...

--

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
robinson46176 at gmail.com