[AT] Turbochargers

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Tue Nov 10 19:32:54 PST 2015

I have a limited knowledge of turbos so I will share what I know. First
of all, I don't think they would squeak as they have there own oil
supply line with oil being pumped to the bearings at all times. Second,
the blade tolerance is so close that any bearing wear will make the
blades rub the housing. At one time I was cutting hay with my cousins IH
1066 and when I would shut it off I could hear what I thought was the
blades rubbing as they came to a stop. He was taking it to the dealer
for some other problem so I told him to have the turbo checked; it came
back with a new turbo. Also I have never heard of changing bearings,
your just replace with a new or rebuilt unit. As for the noise, I can't
say for sure but I have seen belts act like that. My wife's last car
would do that. When she started it in the morning, especially if it was
damp out, the belts would squeak like craze for a few minutes. I don't
remember if the noise stopped when the belts were replaced or not, but I
think it did or was not as bad. I'm thinking some of the noise was
caused by the older belts being glazed.
     Greg Hass