[AT] Cold weather starting

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Wed Jan 7 04:39:16 PST 2015

Having to feed cattle every day is really fun here in OKla where the
wind comes sweeping down the plain...   7 deg tonight with a 25 to 35mph
wind gusting to 40mph.  That puts the wind chills way below zero.  Since
the NH TS110 is out of service, and the Belarus 8345 has a  hole in the
tire,  I am down to the Belarus 822 for my utility tractor.  It refused
to start without pulling  3 times last week So Monday I went to my
favorite battery place and bought 2 ea Group 31 1000 CCA batteries.  If
I would have used stud posts instead of lead, I could have used 1150
CCA.  I got the lead posts because I thought the cables were good on the
tractor.  Was fooled some when I started installation.  The Belarus uses
2 batteries for 24V start and 12V run.  It originally had Group 27
batteries that would give 750 CCA max....  I have converted most all of
my equipment to use the same battery group.  They cost $90 each, but
keeping everything the same saves a lot of time when a key is left on or
something crazy happens..  After I hit the starter switch and it fired
on the second revolution, I let it run for about an hour and then
drained the oil and replaced it with 5W-30 instead of the 30WT that it
had.  It has a couple of leaks, but I can watch the level and the leaks
for this winter.  I had 2 sheds built to put the tractors in and they
are now full of stuff  that cannot get wet until I can get those piles
worked down...  I was able to buy some high power lights from the Tulsa
fairgrounds arena to use for lights in my shop, and they could get wet,
but I would prefer not until they are installed.

I need to feed some hay again this morning and the wind chill is below
zero, so I guess will see if that problem is solved.  Next chore is to
replace the trackhoe bucket hose that is 9 ft in the air...  With this
wind, that is going to be a really cold job...  I know it is not as cold
as Ralph has to endure, but for OKla, this is cold.  they are closing
some schools because of the wind chill..........

Cecil in OKla

---