[AT] was oil dry now Congratulations to Chuck and cold weather ramble

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 25 07:16:48 PST 2015

On 2/25/2015 6:39 AM, Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> Congratulations Chuck
> This is our 35th Anniv. this year.  Welcome back to the sunny South.  I
> don't remember where in TX you are, but it is pretty much cold anywhere
> around here in OK.  We got 4 inches of snow on Monday afternoon.  It was
> nearly gone yesterday afternoon. The afternoon it gets up to 50deg, then
> after 9pm, the bottom falls out of the thermometer.   Now we have to get
> ready for the next wave of cold.  This one has some freezing rain in the
> prediction for Sunday night..   I am thankful for the Belarus tractors I
> have to feed cattle with.  They are 24V start and the engine is just
> built for cold weather starting.  The older one has 5W-30 oil and fires
> off a little faster than the newer one with 15W-50 oil.  The cab heaters
> don't work, but they are 4WD with a loader.   I got some electric
> insoles for my boots and one of those Dewalt electric coats, so all I
> have to worry about is a fogged windshield in the cab and the battery in
> my coat and insoles going dead.  Ther eis a connection to the Cigarette
> lighter outlet, but I get in and out several times to cut the bale
> wrap.  The Battery for my caot works on my insoles.  Now I just need to
> get "wired for sound".
>
> You guys in the frozen North probably think us Okies are just wimps, but
> when you get used to 100+ deg summers, 10 deg is really cold.  With the
> nerve problems I have, I can't tell when my feet are freezing until it
> is too late...  Oh well,
>
> Cecil in OKla

Hi Cecil.
If I had a cab to work with moving bales I would probably be too hot
:-). Seriously, last week pushing snow with the
2090 Case I was so overheated that the windows were fogging up in the
cab even with the defroster fan on full. Did
not want to turn the heat up and feel even hotter.
I just came in from a pre-sunrise run down the driveway on the open
Cockshutt 40 and snow blower. Thought it felt a
little cool and when I came in I see the temp was at -14F. Still not bad
as long as the wind stays down.

Ralph in Sask.