[AT] Welding Advice

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Mon Feb 9 10:18:37 PST 2015

Each of those welding types are best suited for different jobs. While I’ve only personally done mig and arc, I’ve watched a friend do tig. The question might be what do you intend to weld. That will help point you in a good direction.

Another option to consider might be to look and see if there is a vocational school or somewhere where they have a class. It might give you some good exposure to those different methods. I took welding back in HS, but during that class part of it was a chance to build your own project. Maybe the vocational/community college class might allow you to work on your own projects in there. Use their high quality equipment with someone to watch over and help along the way.

Good luck and enjoy. Fusing metal is a fun experience!  :-)

Brad