[AT] Welding Advice

Mike Reggie mrreg_99 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 11 02:25:16 PST 2015

     Hi all on the list, looong time no reply, I know, but in all honesty, I really do lurk almost every day still, since 1999 and I like to reply when I feel I have something positive to contribute. That would be mostly in the metalworking/welding/machining area. As is almost always the case, I agree with everything said on this thread from everyone, and I can only think of a couple things to add.

  When stick welding, as far as the sound and characteristics  go, there should be some differences between the different electrodes, the mild steel electrodes such as the 6010, 6011, will burn quite violently as they are a deep penetrating fast freezing rod for making root passes and out of position work [originally for use in pipeline work, but very useful in many other areas] and will sound like sparklers, very crackly,  and consume at a higher rate of speed. Also in the mild steel family are the 6013 and 7014, will be the mainstay nowadays, and they too will crackle a bit, and would be used more for thin gauge materials, decorative and ornamental work and sheet metal.   Then there are the low hydrogen electrodes, anything that ends in 16 or nowadays for most commercial purposes 18, most commonly 7018. These should have a very soft "crumbly" sort of sound with a very smooth transfer with good wet-out.

 All of these are the mainstream, most commonly used rods available almost everywhere welding supplies are sold, and if you can get comfortable using these rods, you will have no problem with almost any type of stick welding task, pay special attention to the 7018, it will require a certain amount of technique, but it really is the most useful and versatile of all, if you can get comfortable with this rod in all positions, you will have hit the  AHH HAA moment in stick welding, no kidding. Also, all of these rods will work on AC or DC with the exception of the 6010, so it wont matter if you are using a buzz box or a top of the line pro model machine, and in MOST cases, are also usable in either polarity.

   The bacon sizzling sound is usually associated with the MIG short circuit process, and I do think it is a good way to get a gauge on how you are doing, conversely, you would not want to hear that sound if you are MIG welding in a spray transfer mode. Also, the sound will change if you are using a flux core wire as opposed to a solid wire, and an argon rich shielding gas as opposed to a straight CO2 shielding gas, the later producing a more violent arc.   Of all the processes mentioned, MIG in short circuit is the easiest most user friendly and with the refinements in both solid and flux cored wires it is increasingly more versatile.    As most have said, any type of course or training is helpful, but, as the saying goes,  "how does one get to the Met? Practice, lots and lots of practice". There is no substitute for time spent under the helmet, I can personally attest to this as I am self taught in all my welding and machining skills, and though I use all forms of stick, MIG, TIG and oxy-fuel processes on an almost daily basis for many years now, I discover new things all the time, especially with stick and TIG.      Also as has been mentioned, do watch Jody's channel on You Tube, welding tips and tricks, pay special attention to him not so much when he is showing an arc shot, but when he's narrating on a setup or has focused the camera on himself and is walking you through a setup, if you think you may have missed something, pause the video and go back, I watch him all the time, and I think he generally releases a new video every Tuesday night. Along the same lines, as some of you know, I am in the welding/machining/metal equipment repair business, and I also have a You Tube channel that I show some of the jobs I do, both in the shop and some field work. I don't necessarily give a how to, but I do thoroughly [or in most cases, overly] narrate what I am doing and how and by what process I am using to get each job done. It is a mix of welding, machining,  line boring and general metalworking repairs of all types. If anyone would care to see, my channel is at  https://www.youtube.com/user/phuzzz1   As I explain here and in my introduction video, I am self taught and by no means an expert at anything, but if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best to provide an answer    I'd like to also remind everyone that just as there was the discussion on the carbon arc welding which is almost all but forgotten, so too has oxy-fuel welding and even brazing seemingly fallen out of most mainstream use, I believe it is a very useful and worthy process to know especially when working on antique tractors, I still use it often for almost all cast iron repairs as I don't think arc welding of cast iron is a good idea.   It was so nice to see a topic that I could jump in on, and it's always nice to see the familiar names and the topics discussed on this list, there is an incredible amount of knowledge, information, and of course civility here and I have been enjoying reading it for years now.    All the best to everyone ........ Mike