[AT] Fwd: pull type corn shellers?

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Mon Dec 7 22:13:55 PST 2015

John,

Seem to remember that by the 60’s combines had almost displaced mounted or pulled pickers, at least in total bushels picked. Also that the mounted and pulled ones ate too many arms and people.  Don’t remember pulled pickers with shellers in my area - just the pulled pickers.  Do recall (dimly) that Deere - at least in the time of the 30 series tractors (late 50’s) - made a mounted two-row picker-sheller. The sheller portion was kind of low and wide and mounted behind the tractor. Bet those implements were some fun to install and take off. Suspect most of this corn left the wagon into auger elevators instead of shovels. Sure hope so, as we used to shovel ear corn (earlier plucked by a mounted picker on a Farmall Super M - alas, not ours) from a ‘53 235-BU GMC truck into a higher door on a grain bin, and that this method was neither fast nor restful.  Never saw the Deere mounted-picker sheller in a field near us or an ad for them mounted anything smaller than a 730, so suspect they did not sell big numbers of them.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas TX