[AT] pull type corn shellers?

Greg Hass ghass at m3isp.com
Mon Dec 7 17:40:59 PST 2015

At one time there were quite a few of them in our area of Michigan. All
that I know of were New Idea brand. They were made to pull a gravity box
behind and that auger was only to elevate the corn into the wagon. This
was before combines were used much for corn. It was so you could haul
the shelled corn to the elevator or to a dryer without handling all the
cobs. If you chose, you could buy the picker with both the shelling
attachment and the husking unit. It was not that big a job to change
from shelling to husking if you wanted to fill some corn cribs. Around
here they were called picker-shellers. Because they sell quite cheap
now, one guy I know has a picker he uses to fill a small corn crib in
the fall and the next summer, after it has air dried he uses a
picker-sheller with the gathering chains and rollers unhooked and a home
made hopper over the paddle chain that feeds the sheller. He dumps corn
from the crib into the hopper where it goes through the sheller and then
into a gravity box. He then uses the corn for his corn furnace to heat
the house thus saving drying and storage charges at the elevator.
               Greg Hass