[AT] Work boots

jtchall at nc.rr.com jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 19 06:17:52 PDT 2015

Been wearing work boots in a machine shop for 25 years. Started out with
cheap Wolverine with a really soft sole. Problem is the way I walk I wear
the inside of the boot heel real bad. My boss pointed this out many years
ago and told me to go get better boots or I'd regret it. Switched over to
Mason, had to get them mail order--there were USA made. Finally they went to
China and I got unhappy with the quality. Bought some Red Wings, huge
disappointment. They could not offer the toe style I wanted in a smooth sole
(you don't want a cleated sole in a machine shop--packs with metal chips
really bad). What he sold me had a somewhat pointed toe. 2 problems, hurt
the toes some but mainly the shoes bruised the top of my feet so bad I
couldn't hardly walk.  I finally gave them to a welder I worked with. Doubt
I got 2 months wear out of them over the course of 5 months. Bought some
Justin boots, style 795. I am on my third pair of these. If I get anything
over 2 years from a pair of boots it is a bonus---regardless of the brand.
The first 2 pairs of Justin I bought were purchased local. When I went to
get the third pair the price had gone to $200. I bought them online for
about $160. I do use a fairly high dollar insole that I purchase online from
Footsmart. The ones I use are for folks with plantar fasciitis--they make
them for other problems also, cost around $25 a pair. Been using these
insoles for over 10 years. I get 6-12 months out of a pair, change them out
when my feet start hurting. If you order Justin boots, they tend to run big.
I wear a 13-14 in everything else but these, I use a 12. This last pair of
Justins took a while to break in, keep trying to bruise my foot just behind
the steel toe.

By the way, the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned are my Timberland
hiking boots. If you don't mind a cleated sole and no steel toe, these are
great work shoes. We used to go hiking a good bit, walk 4-5 miles no
problem.

John Hall