[AT] OT-now GPS

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Apr 7 19:04:46 PDT 2015

On 4/7/2015 7:24 PM, Greg Hass wrote:
>   My cousin uses one and the way I
> understand it, it does not operate like the GPS we are used to. His uses
> antennas placed on cell phone towers over a three county area. A couple
> of dealers in that area got together to make the system. They say the
> satellites are not accurate for things like planting corn as their
> system will keep the planter within a one inch spacing. This system is
> not cheap as my cousin says the fee for tower use is about $3000 per
> year plus the equipment to mount on the tractors is about $15,000. We
> do have many people in our area using this system. My cousin says that
> he figures this system saves him well over $10,000 a year in labor,
> fuel, and extra wear caused by overlapping too much or having skips
> which the field cultivator missed. The downside is all these people are
> working at least 1500 acres compared to my 100 so I have to stick with
> the old ways just due to the cost.
>              Greg Hass
Hi Greg
Sounds like you are talking about "sub inch accuracy" RTK or some such
acronoym. I don't
need it for my small acreage around the 900 acre mark. In fact I don't
know if anybody uses
that here. Auto steer for sure but far as I know they just use the free
satellite signal (Wass?)
that I do. It is plenty accurate enough for my needs. I can program in
how much overlap I want
and it tells me my speed, acres covered , and paints a map of what parts
of the field are done
and what is left. Important here in pothole country where half the land
is either under water or
too wet to work the past few years.
Got a little more un-needed moisture in the form of snow today.

Ralph in Sask.