[AT] here I go again

Ron Cook ron at lakeport-1.com
Tue Jul 29 23:21:53 PDT 2014

Charlie,
     Not much finish left on the little thing.  Someone did get a nice
red oxide primer coat on the hood and oil cap and painted the front
wheels black for some reason.  That is as far as they got.  A proper
paint job and the right decals, and it will be a right foxy looking
little tractor.  But, that isn't happening anytime soon.
     One row at a time and it is easy to see how these little tractors
have mostly been "used up".  A tremendous amount of hours consumed in
the seat, as you say.  A two-row outfit would get the same work done in
almost, but not quite, half the time.  I think the little tractors were
replacing a mule and was a big step up.  Here, the Regular replaced a
team of horses in the twenties and thirties. Two rows.  Larger
farmsteads and different crops.  The little tractors were chore tractors
and mostly consisted of N Fords.  My Granddad did quite a bit of farming
with a 9 N, but it was pretty much used up by the time it was 10 years
old, and it had a Regular, an M, and a John Deere B helping it.  A dairy
farm with about 400 acres of crop.  All those hours finished off my
Granddad by the time he was 63, too.  Died right beside that Ford
getting it ready to go to the field for another day of cultivating.

Ron Cook
Salix, IA